Re: an idea: ports == options

----

When XProc was announced, it seemed like the missing tool that would tie everything together.  But when I tried it, it turned out to be over-engineered, unfathomably complex, and just plain unfriendly.

That’s how XProc broke my heart.  I wanted to stay with XProc, but it was an abusive relationship.

So, I decided to break up with XProc.

One day, XProc called me up and said, "I want to get back together.  I know I was bad before, but I can change!"

XProc explained that it could make our relationship a lot less stressful by making ports and options the same thing.

I’m still very uneasy.  There’s a lot more about XProc that I’d need to see change, but I think this is *solid* start.

----

So, dear XProc,

If you can do this for me--and if you continue to work on improving some of the other painful things we argued about--I might be willing to give you another chance.

I hope I do.  It’s up to you.

——Zearin (Tony)