Re: Charsets, encodings, http-request, unescape-markup, and convenience, oh my!

From: Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:19:51 +0200
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
On 6 October 2011 21:45, Norman Walsh wrote:

>      <c:request method="get" href="http://tests.xproc.org/tests/doc/html-utf8.data"/>
> [...]
> It returns a base64 encoded document:

  In my humble opinion, I think those problems wouldn't happen if HTML
content was parsed as a document node directly by the http-request
step.  The step can access the HTTP response context (including the
charset if any) and parse the HTML content directly into a document
node, e.g. following the same rules as in escape-markup.  Or did I
miss something?

  There've been some discussion on that topic on the EXPath list at [1].

Florent Georges
http://fgeorges.org/
http://h2oconsulting.be/

[1]http://groups.google.com/group/expath/browse_thread/thread/211c0a6c4eecadd1