XSLT match pattern - XSLT 1.0 or XSLT 2.0?

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:28:06 -0500
To: <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>
Hi all,

Section 3.10 (Syntax Summaries)  says:

"XPathExpression, XSLTMatchPattern: As a string per [W3C XML Schema:
Part 2], including whitespace normalization, and the further requirement
to be a conformant Expression per [XPath 1.0] or [XPath 2.0], as
appropriate, or Match pattern per [XSLT 1.0] or [XSLT 2.0], as
appropriate."

How does the XProc processor know which XSLT version to use when
evaluating XSLT match patterns? For XPath, we have the xpath-version
attribute, but there is nothing similar for XSLT match patterns.
Obviously, an XSLT 1.0-based XProc processor cannot evaluate some of the
XSLT 2.0 match patterns.

Should the XSLT match pattern evaluation follow the value of
xpath-version? (More of a hack, plus it may stop working in the future).
Or do we need a new attribute, something like xslt-version? (If so, we
would need to make it clear that it has no relation to p:xslt
whatsoever.)

Vojtech Toman
Principal Software Engineer
EMC Corporation