Re: Nodelists as values

"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> While we're getting our wishlist out (see Norm's previous posting) for
> obscure facilities which we need for pipelines we're writing, I've
> finally been converted to the restricting-values-to-strings-is-crazy
> position.

Welcome. Don't worry, we're friendly.

> But here's why we're _not_ going to do this in V1:  it would take a
> substantial amount of work to decide how to get things _back_ from
> such values.

Really? I'd have thought string($expr) was the obvious answer.

>  Would we allow, e.g.,

> To be useful, such a pipeline would need to be allowed.  But that's
> too big a change for this late in the game. . .

I was so convinced that it was both necessary and easy to do that I
implemented sequences of nodes as values in XML Calabash. If you use
the "-X general-values" option, XML Calabash is a non-conforming
processor that (probably) does what you want.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | In science, "fact" can only mean