Re: justify or remove aliases: base-uri, resolve-uri

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 14:55 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> Jeni Tennison writes:

> >> I think perhaps you misunderstood.  There _is no_ XPath 1.0 function
> >> which has the relevant behaviour.  So we have defined an extension
> >> function _for XPath 1.0_ whose functionality is defined to be the
> >> XPath 1.0 equivalent of an XPath 2.0 function.
> >

> > Perhaps Dan's point is that we should use the XPath 2.0 function
> > namespace (http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions) for those functions
> > rather than co-opting them into our own namespace.
>
> I thought of that, but that's sort of wrong, isn't it?  The function
> we want is not actually/exactly the function whose name is
> http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions:base-uri,

Oh... that's certainly the impression I got from the spec:

"The semantics of this function are the same as the semantics of the
XPath 2.0 fn:base-uri() function."

>  because that is a
> function defined
>
>   a) with input a node in an XPath 2 data model
>  and
>   b) value an xs:anyURI or NULL
>
> whereas the function we are defining has
>
>   a) input an infoitem
>  and
>   b) output a string.

I didn't see that difference pointed out in the spec.
That would probably make sense as a justification.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E