Storing binary data

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 02:49:31 -0500
To: <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>

Hi all,

I was wondering whether we are not missing functionality for storing
binary data. Something like a counterpart of p:data or p:http-request.
For p:load, there is p:store, but suppose I fetch binary data using
p:http-request and I want to store it to a URI - I can't. The only thing
I can do at the moment is to let the pipeline return the (wrapped)
base64 encoded data and store it outside of XProc.

I know that XProc really is not aimed for handling binary data, but
since we already have steps such as p:xsl-formatter that store binary
content, and p:data/p:http-request for loading binary data into XProc,
perhaps a binary equivalent of p:store (which would take a c:data
wrapped content and store it as binary data) could be useful. But maybe
not for V1.