Re: p:declare-step - atomic steps vs. empty pipelines

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:16:36 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
/ Toman_Vojtech@emc.com was heard to say:
| I have a question about the "new" p:declare-step syntax with regard to
| declaring empty pipelines. It seems to me that in some cases the XProc
| processor has no way of knowing whether the declared step is an atomic
| step or an empty pipeline.

It was intended as an if-and-only-if relationship. If you're declaring
an atomic step, you must not provide a subpipeline. If you don't
provide a subpipeline, you are, by definition, declaring an atomic
step.

It is a static error (err:XS0027) for a compound step to have no
contained steps. It follows, I think, that it would be an error to
attempt to declare a pipeline with no contained steps.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Linux. Because rebooting is for
http://nwalsh.com/            | hardware upgrades.