Re: I'm _still_ confused about 3.8 Extension elements

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:17:00 -0500
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
| So my tentative feeling about this is that the problems in the current
| draft arise mostly because we adopted the XSLT model too
| uncritically.  It only makes sense to make the "has no [semantic]
| impact" kind of statement that XSLT does because the control flow of
| XSLT is pattern directed.  Our control flow is (in part) linear, so
| adding an extension element in a subpipeline just doesn't make any
| sense -- it's _extremely_ unlikely for it to be of any use there
| unless it _does_ affect the flow of results between the steps on
| either side.

If it changes the flow, then there's no point putting it in an ignored
namespace since it can't be ignored.

The extension stuff is really appinfo. Maybe we should bag all the
ignored namespaces stuff and just add p:appinfo as an ANY container.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Everything should be made as simple as
http://nwalsh.com/            | possible, but no simpler.