RE: Comments on Editor's Draft 9 January 2008

Except that neither of "fred", "barney" or "bedrock" can be declared
primary and that I always have to make sure that the last step in the
pipeline has a default readable port... But OK, I think I can accept
this cost. I just wanted to point out that it can make some pipelines a
bit cumbersome.

> | While I can see the reasoning behind fixing the "source"
> and "result"
> | ports, I think it can makes certain things difficult to achieve
> | (unless wou want to use ugly workarounds in your pipelines). I
> | understand that the most common use case is: take XML
> document(s) - do
> | something - output result XML document(s), but there may be other
> | (even though possibly weird) scenarios, such as the following:
>
> Yes, and you can do all those things, just not with the
> shortcut syntax.

How? Using the described "direct evaluation" of steps?

xproc -i src=x.xml -o res=o.xml \
      -d acme-library.xml -ns acme=http://www.acme.com \
      -pipeline acme:my-pipeline

In order to use the "full form", the pipeline must be declared first
using p:declare-step, so the "direct evaluation" is the only way of
running such a pipeline I can think of.

Regards,
Vojtech

--