Re: add-attribute adding namespace declarations.

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:51:26 -0500
To: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>, <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>

Cross-posting to the xml-processing group.

I belive this requires a clarification in the spec.
add-attribute absolutely *can* add namespace declarations, but the spec
explicitly says it cannot.

It just cant add namespace declarations without adding an additional (non
xmlns) attribute.

-David

> I'm a little confused about add-attribute.
>
> In
> 7.1.1 p:add-attribute
>
> it says ...
> "This step cannot be used to add namespace declarations."
>
> But in the required test
>     add-attribute-002.xml
>
> The input document is:
>
> <document>
>
> <title>Some Title</title>
>
> <para>Some paragraph.</para>
>
> </document>
>

> and the output after 2 add-attributes is supposed to be '
>
> <document>
>
> <title xmlns:test2="http://test.com" test2:foo="bar">Some
> Title</title>
>
> <para>Some paragraph.</para>
>
> </document>
>
> ---
>
> Which clearly has had a namespace declaration added to the xml.
>
> That seems useful, but in clear contridiction to the spec.
>
> So which is correct ?

p:add-attribute *can* add namespace declarations as the result of adding
attributes that are in a namespace. But you can't use p:add-attribute if
you want to create only namespace declarations.