5.4 p:output. Informative para request

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:58:26 +0000
To: "xproc List" <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>

Having been puzzled for the best part of a day I'd like to request an
informative paragraph is added to 5.4

My learning went something like

p:input
  p:document href=

That says within the pipeline the input should be taken from.

So (I reasoned)

p:output
  p:document href=

says where to put the final output. No?

No. Since James Fuller explained it to me I can now see the logic
being used, e.g. example 1
in the CR shows this quite clearly (without explaining anything)

Something like:

"p:output, with a p:document child does not specify where the output
of a step is to be serialized."

Instead it does something really weird which won't make sense but is
currently not an error.

I hope you can appreciate my confusion, and can clarify it for
others taking a similar leap of faith to me.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.