Re: foreign namespaces

From: Florent Georges <fgeorges@fgeorges.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:40:39 +0200
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

2008/8/27 Norman Walsh wrote:

> The only place they're allowed is in a subpipeline where they
> must have a corresponding declaration (as they must be atomic
> steps).

  So you've chosen to not reuse the concepts of "user-defined
data elements" [1] and "extension instructions" [2,3] from XSLT
(both 1.0 & 2.0)? :

    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-data-element
    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#dt-extension-instruction
    [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#extension-instruction

  The former has proved very useful for little "extensions" to
the language, for example regarding documentation, or meta
information (for instance mapping from the business rules

  About the later, I don't understand comprehensively and
exactly the extension mechanism of XProc, but I can't think you
didn't allow the ability of declaring extension steps defined
in an implementation-defined way (read: in Java or whatever.)

Florent Georges