Re: more PSVI

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:30:49 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
/ James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| thx goes to MohamedZ for pointing out the current WG debate as I had
| my own PSVI questions.
|
| a few ruminations on PSVI;
|
| * what if we want to preserve PSVI annotations through a step that
| does not require it ? e.g. something like a psvi-passthru attribute
| though perhaps all this is a bit cumbersome for corner case?

Most of the steps can change the structure of a document. That could
make any of the PSVI properties invalid. I think it's better to say
you have to (re)validate after you run those steps.

| * what happens when p:xslt is using a validating XSLT v2.0 does the
| existing psvi-required attribute need to be set to true then ?

I think the behavior in the absence of @psvi-required is
implementation-defined. The XSLT step is always free to produce PSVI
annotations. You only need to put @psvi-required on the step that
*consumes* XSLT output if you want to be sure that the implementation
kept them.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Wisdom is only a comparative quality,
http://nwalsh.com/            | it will not bear a single