Re: Parameter order

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Vasil Rangelov <boen.robot@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> | Any p:parameter elements override any provided on a port. And if there's
> | more than one p:parameter providing value for the same parameter, they are
> | considered in document order.
>
> More than one p:parameter with the same name is an error, I think, though
> I can't put my finger on that in the text just at this moment.
>
> | Makes perfect sense to me.
>
> I'm on the fence here. I could be convinced either way. The status quo
> says that the order matters.

Without revisiting the whole p:parameter discussion, I seem to remember
that we had use cases where it was intended that user-supplied
parameters should override the (default) author-supplied parameters (to
allow the user control over the parameters passed to the XSLT step), and
use cases where author-supplied parameters should override any
user-supplied ones (to prevent the user from controlling those
particular aspects of the transformation).

So I think the decision to have order matter was based on providing
support for both scenarios. Unless there's a really good reason not to
(and I haven't seen one), I think we should continue to support them both.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison