Re: An unfulfilled requirement maybe?

From: Vasil Rangelov <boen.robot@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 01:46:58 +0300
To: <public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org>

>What you can't do is run programs that require stdin to be non-XML.
>But you couldn't run those if you didn't have a stdin port either.

Right. You're basically outlining the issue I had in mind ( + you can't run
programs that only accept optionally a plain text input). And this should be
something XProc should allow. I mean... I for one don't know a program that
would require (nor one that would optionally accept for that matter) an XML
input, but I do know some that would accept plain text inputs only.

How will XProc handle this? What solution would you propose? I don't think
leaving it as is now is the answer...

Making stdin an option is one variant. Any sort of mechanism by which a text
could be extracted from a document is also a possible solution.

Regards,
Vasil Rangelov