[QA Review] xml:id Version 1.0

/ Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> was heard to say:
| I was wondering if you had seen as well
| http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2005Jan/0012

No, I had not. And it took me a *a long time* to figure out why. For
one thing, it never arrived in my personal mailbox for no reason that
I can explain, but then it's also a "follow-up" to a message you posted on
the first working draft and my issue tracking tool suppressed that
thread because it wasn't from LC1. Sigh.

Looking at the message:

> Dear XML WG,
>
> Le 04 août 2004, à 17:43, Karl Dubost a écrit :
> > This is a QA review of
> >  xml:id Version 1.0
> >  W3C Working Draft 7 April 2004
> >  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20040407/
>
> My initial review of xml:id
>
> > http://www.w3.org/QA/2004/08/xml-id-qa-review
>
> We have discussed [1] in the QA WG about one of the Requirement, that I
> credited successful, but some people in the QA WG thinks that it
> doesn't meet the criteria.
>
> Looking at
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20041109/
>
> Let's say that the point Requirement 2.2.A [2] is then failed
>  "Identify who or what will implement the specification."
>
> To meet the criteria of this requirement in the specification, please
> do this modification to your document following the techniques:
>
> [[[
> Give the classes of products in the specification:
>  1.    Think about all the types of products or services that will
> implement this technology, group those that are similar and/or
> basically achieve the same purpose, and determine the generic name for
> the group.  This would be the class of product.
>  2.   List these classes of products in the specification.
>  3.   Describe them as part of the scope.
> ]]] - [3]

The CR draft clearly identifies that it is the 'xml:id processor' that
implements this specification. It goes on to say:

"This specification defines xml:id processing, but it is up to the
application to determine when such processing occurs. Users of
applications that provide facilities for modifying XML documents may
reasonably expect xml:id processing to occur whenever a change is made
to an ID value."

I believe that that satisfies the issue you identified above.

> Then as a suggestion for your prose

> 1. Introduction
>  1.1 Scope of xml:id
>
>  Classes of Products
>         Here is the list of classes of products for which this
> specification defines conformance requirements.
>         * XML Processors
>    [Prose explaining what's an XML processors]
>         * DTD and XML Schemas (non required but encouraged)
>    [Prose explaining why]
>         * Author of XML documents (non required but encouraged)
>    [Prose explaining why]
>
> What about XML schemas and DTD authoring tools? or more that you might
> think of?
>
> That would make a more satisfying specification.
>
> 3.2.B [4] is not met as well
>  "Indicate which conformance requirements are mandatory, which are
> recommended and which are optional."
>  In the conformance section [5] of xml:id, it's very hard to know what
> are the strict requirement for an XML processors with regards to
> xml:id. That would be good to explicit it in the conformance section,
> then the implementers will have no doubts about it.
>  For now it's lost in the prose of the document.

I believe the conformance section now clearly identifies which
requirements are manditory and which are not:

"Conformance to constraints that \u201cmust\u201d be assured is
mandatory. It is recommended that applications assure the other
constraints as well. This specification defines no simply optional
constraints."

> 4.3.A [6] is not met
>
> I encourage you first to read this message from Dave Marston, IBM [7]
>
> Suggestion
> =================================
> xxx. Extensibility of xml:id
>
> [Write prose here if you expect people to extend the behaviors already
> defined in the specification, if not say so. xml:id is not extensible
> and as to be implemented as it is.]
> =================================

This is now addressed by Section 8 of the CR draft.

I believe that we have addressed all of the issues raised in this message,
please let me know if you agree.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/mid/5.1.0.14.2.20041227125546.026af9f0@localhost
> [2]
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#implement-principle