Re: Change namespace of xml:id

On Wednesday, February 9, 2005, 6:36:05 AM, John wrote:

JB> Your *opinion* is that it is broken, and your conclusion that a 'mistake'
JB> was made is based on that opinion.

So, in your opinion, a specification can make pronouncements about the
behavior of reserved attributes and this is correct?

JB> But your opinion is based entirely on not interpreting the word 'identify'
JB> in the same way that I do.  How do you justify identifying two non-equal
JB> sets of names with the same identity?

Identity, for a namespace URI, is based on strong comparison. It
compares the URIs. I does not compare the set of identifiers in that
namespace.

JB> You can be annoyed with a technical opinion that differs from yours,
JB> and the W3C is welcome to 'fix' C14N if it likes so that only the
JB> two attributes described in XML 1.0 are handled in the way described.

That seems a likely outcome.

JB> But the post hoc addition of names to the namespace identified by
JB> a URI (once a recommendation is let) remains an abuse of the notion
JB> of namespace

No, it does not. It remains one possible way to manage evolution of a
namespace - one the W3C does use.

JB> due to the normative definition of namespace appearing
JB> Namespaces in XML.

I agree that the normative definition of the URI appeared in XML 1.0. It
would be an error to redefine that URI. The URI has not been redefined.

JB>   You can do it now, but don't expect this to be the
JB> only problem that crops up over time.  The W3C has policies

plural

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group