Re: Change namespace of xml:id

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:44:17AM -0800, John Boyer wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> >  Nothing in the Namespace in XML spec implies that this binding
> >is static as you're claiming.
>
> Yes it does.  The first definition in the recommendation defines
> a namespace to be a collection of names identified by a URI.
> If you change the collection of names, you change the namespace.
> Since the meaning of 'identify' is fairly clear, a different URI must
> be used to 'identify' the new collection.

  A collection is not a list. It doesn't have to be closed. I reserve
the right to use the namespace {http://veillard.com/} to any local name
in the future if I deem it useful, even if right now the collection
doesn't include any.
  The C14N group made a mistake. It's incredible that this is leading
to such a mess. I'm not sure I value interoperability more than getting
broken stuff fixed.

Daniel