RE: Change namespace of xml:id

Hi Chris,

>One can, but one need not. There are examples of both types of change policy.

>The change policy for the XML namespace has already ben demonstrated,
>for example when xml:base was added to it.

Was this a conscious decision about the change policy, or just
everyone not understanding something about namespaces?
I find it quite hard to believe that anyone really gave
this point much thought.

>The meaning of 'reserved' is fairly clear.

Please look carefully at what is reserved.  The names of prefixes are
reserved.  This is orthogonal to reserving the meaning of the namespace URI.

>Another specification (such
>as XML canonicalization) should not be making assumptions about future
>registrations into the XMl namespace, since that namespace is reserved.

The namespace is not reserved in the sense you mean it.  The namespace is
defined by XML 1.0, for which C14N is the canonicalization algorithm.

Post hoc, the namespace definition is changing.  Namespaces in XML
defines a namespace to be URI+(collection of names).

Cheers,
John

JB> Or, more appropriately, use Bert's suggestion of the
JB> prefix xmlid, which would then be bound to a *different*
JB> URI than the one associated with XML 1.0.

JB> Thanks for the link!
JB> John Boyer

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group