RE: Test Case with xml-dsig

C14N isn't "just plain broken" with respect to xml:id.

C14N was produced years before xml:id and therefore
"does not support" xml:id.

Moreover, it cannot be modified to do so without also
upgrading XPath, which also "does not support" xml:id.

The only way to get these applications to support xml:id
is to declare this attribute as being of type ID in the DTD.

I would very much love to see a new C14N algorithm
(which would naturally have a new algorithm URI),
but I would like to see it because I think we need
one that respects XML Schema.

Note that XML Schema can declare something to be an ID,
and C14N "does not support" that either.

But the big win for doing a schema-aware C14N is the ability
to solve the one truly important problem that we knew of
but could not solve at the state of technology available
at the time: distinguishing relevant from non-relevant whitespace.
(At the time, we could have tried to do this with DTDs,
but we would not have been able to get agreement for
a recommendation in a timely fashion).

John Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect and Research Scientist
PureEdge Solutions Inc.