Re: Test Case with xml-dsig

On Thursday 13 January 2005 14:47, Gabe Wachob wrote:
> DanC asked me to email this URL as a good example of a use of xml:id with
> xml Dsig's Reference element/URI attribute when used with URI fragment
> identifier (i.e. for references to XML elements being signed inside an
> XML document).

Yes, many years ago we spoke of something like this being useful, and
wondered if, absent such an attribute in the XML namespace, should create
our own ID attribute in our own namespace? however, if someone is defining
their own namespace and wants a convenient attribute for identification
purposes, they could just as well define their own in their application
context, rather than relying upon one from the digital signature context.
(Though, if it caught on and appeared in many applications, maybe it would
be useful for digital signature processors to easily recognize.) The real
usefulness, would be in retrofitting other namespace applications that were
designed before or without knowledge of digital signatures. Yet, if you do
do that, which seems to be the proposal, one encounters a number of
problems with respect to versioning of XML. For example, is the
canonicalization of xml:ID correct when used with the existing
specifications? What happens to the info set?