Re: Test Suite catalog

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:08:12 -0400
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
CC: public-xml-id@w3.org

Norman Walsh wrote:

> I also constructed an XSLT (1.0) stylesheet that can drive the tests
> (if the xml:id implementation in question can inject the IDs before
> running the processor, of course).
>
>   http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/xml-id/runtests.xsl

This is an interesting idea. I hooked it up to XOM, and XOM promptly
flunked all but two tests. I think the problem is the use of the
document() function. While XOM 1.1 can recognize xml:id attributes as
IDs, documents loaded through the document() function do not pass
through XOM. Instead the transformer (Xalan-J in this case) loads those
URLs directly into its internal object model, bypassing XOM completely.
Thus what's really being tested here is whether the XSL engine supports
xml:id, not whether XOM supports xml:id. I suspect other libraries that
are not themselves XSLT engines are likely to have the same problem.

Possibly I can work around this by using some sort of
URIResolver/EntityResolver that forces everything to pass through XOM
first. I'm not sure yet.