Re: Missing "else" in section 4.3

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:49:07AM -0400, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Section 4.3 states:
>
> A processor that does neither DTD nor XML Schema validation must
> report xml:id attributes found in documents using [XML Information
> Set] properties, assuming the following condition:
>
>     * The attribute value must be a valid NCName.
>     * No other xml:id attribute with the same attribute value has
> been found earlier in the document.
>
> If those conditions are not satisfied then the processor should
> report the error to the application.
>
> This section then goes on to describe what happens when these
> conditions (unique NCName) are satisfied. However, it says nothing
> about what happens when the condition fail other than an error is
> reported. Suppose this is a non-fatal error (as indeed I think it
> should be). Then how does a processor that does neither DTD nor XML
> Schema validation report the xml:id attribute? Does it give it the ID
> type or not? The behavior on this branch needs to be spelled out.

  Yes, I think that is one point Eric van Der Vlist also asked for
clarification, my take on this is that the ID type is not set in
the XML Infoset.
  This also relate to the Issue (id-strictness), in the sense that
a non-validating XML processor would act differently with an ID
attribute declared in the parsed part of the DTD. So we are looking
for feedback on what the community think should happen if the
conditions are not satisfied. I'm in the camp of being strict since
those are new documents, so this should not break existing use, but
this is an open issue.

Daniel