When DTDs collide

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:35:24 -0400
To: public-xml-id@w3.org

It's not a 100% clear from the spec what should happen when a DTD or
schema fails to declare xml:id as having type ID.  On careful reading
between the lines, I think it true that in that case xml:id is not
recognized as an ID attribute because the  [attribute type] property
or [type definition] property would not be ID.

However, I think the draft needs an explicit statement that processes
should recognize IDs solely by these properties, and *not* by the
name of the attribute (assuming my exegesis is correct).

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)