RE: First WD of xml:id Requirements Document

Paul,

Thank you (and XML Core WG) for taking this on.

R06 and R08 speak of conversion of existing document,DTDs and schemas to use
the solution being simple and straightforward.

I wondered whether the group had discussed the interpretation/processing of
unconverted documents, schema and DTDs - eg.. "Rxx: Deployment of the
solution should/must not result in changes in the application of IDness to
constructs arising from unconverted DTDs, schema or documents."

This may be covered by R05, although I wasn't sure whether its scope covers
'legacy' documents, DTDs and schema. Doesn't say that it doesn't so may be
it does.

Thanks,

Stuart
--

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xml-id-req-20030806/

The XML Core WG welcomes comments.  We plan to start work immediately on
drafting a simple specification to support
our requirements for xml:id.

Abstract
--------
Since XML 1.0, the ability of processors to identify an XML element by an
explicit identifier ("IDness") has depended upon validation. Both DTDs and
[XML Schema] have mechanisms to identify the structures containing unique
identifiers. But neither XML Schema nor DTDs are required by all processors.

A common processor type does not perform validation, nor fetch external
resources for the purpose of acertaining whether the document contains
unique identifiers.

This document sets out the requirements for a mechanism for determining
"IDness" applicable to all classes of XML processors.

Status of this Document
This document is a working draft prepared by the W3C XML Core Working Group
as part of the XML Activity. As a first draft, it does not necessarily
represent a consensus of the members of the XML Core WG.

By publishing this draft, the XML Core WG requests comments from interested
parties. Comments should be sent to public-xml-id@w3.org, which is an
automatically and publicly archived email list.

Paul Grosso, Arnaud Le Hors
Co-chairs, XML Core WG