Re: tag name state

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:21:35 +0100
Cc: "public-xml-er@w3.org Community Group" <public-xml-er@w3.org>
To: David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com>
On Mar 2, 2012, at 13:21 , David Lee wrote:
> I must be missing something too.
> What would be a use case of XML-ER if the result is not valid XML ?

This entirely depends on the tool chain you have riding behind it. If you have a regular web tool chain (e.g. JS, CSS) then there's a lot that really doesn't matter because you can match against all sorts of crazy element names and other such constructs. If, like DavidC, you have an XML tool chain then you need something that matches XML rules to some point  otherwise you can't use your tools (I guess we could embark on a mission to also fix everything up from XPath but that might take both more time and political clout than we have ;).

I actually think it would be useful to have technology to support both uses. First the parsing technology, XML-ER, which produces a tree that might not be XML-compatible. Then a mapping technology that can take a tree from the former and map it to an XML-compatible tree.

The value in this is not just that it gets easy consensus here: it also makes it possible to put an HTML parser at the front of such a pipeline and map a lot of the quirks that it may have to XML.

Coming up soon: I'm teaching a W3C online course on Mobile Web Apps
http://www.w3devcampus.com/writing-great-web-applications-for-mobile/