Re: Intent of ER-XML

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:23:44 -0500
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: public-xml-er@w3.org

On 2/27/2012 10:50 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> First, it seems potentially hard to test. With XML there are clearly
> defined WF/non-WF distinctions so that you can feed parsers a large set
> of WF documents and a large set of non-WF documents and those that pass
> do the right thing for both.

Really? Where is the correct output for an XML processor specified in the
case of well-formed input? That's exactly my point: the XML Recommendation
doesn't specify that, and therefore it's been successfully used as the
basis for many different processor specifications.

> I'd suggest that we can layer that as console.log(document.innerHTML).
> 1/2;-)

Yeah, well, I assume it's clear that the point is not to get the well
formed stream, but to debate the merits of using it as a model in the
specification for documenting in a standardized way the tree to which each
non-well formed input corresponds. Of course, if we decide to go the route
of specifying the DOM for XML-ER, it may be handy in some cases at runtime
to be able to serialize it.

Noah