Re: Draft - Fixup or Full XML Parser

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:07:49 -0500
To: W3C XML-ER Community Group <public-xml-er@w3.org>
David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:
> On 21/02/2012 18:40, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> Right; fetching a DTD is the only plausible way to recover from
>> undefined entities, for example.
>
> There are other recovery strategies that are plausible though.
> HTML for example expands the ones it knows about and for others it's a
> parse error but the & is put back as character data.
>
> This would possibly be a reasonable strategy for xml-er as well,
> especially if, as suggested by others, the html5/mathml entity sets were
> pre-defined.

I'm in favor of predefining all the html5/mathml entities. And
presented with "&flubber;", where no definition of the flubber entity
is known (for whatever reason, TBD), I think "&amp;flubber;" is about
the best recovery we could hope for.

Though I suppose it's worth thinking outside the box. In an element
context <er:ent>flubber</er:ent> would be another possibility.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh