Re: Draft - Fixup or Full XML Parser

On 21/02/2012 15:48, Shane McCarron wrote:
> XML Parser ---> Tools that deal with well formed XML |
> ^ V                              | XML-ER Parser ---------
>
> So in my world I would try to use a traditional (and therefore
> speedy) XML parser.  If that failed, failover to XML-ER

It's not clear to me that parsing xml need be quicker than xml-er?

Mainly it's about _not_ checking stuff that xml checks, so it could be
faster couldn't it (certainly faster than parsing with both:-)

Mostly (when processing files over which I have write access) I would
expect to just use an xml parser (because if there are syntax errors I
want the process to stop and whoever introduced the syntax error to be
exposed to public humiliation) But if processing random documents in the
wild, I might choose to parse with xml-er and be safe in the knowledge
that I'll get something. I'm not that interested in whether it reports
any parse errors in this scenario as I can't change the document so I
just have to accept it as it is (a browser of course is pretty much
always in this position).

David