Re: Charter

On Feb 15, 2012, at 16:01 , Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 10:46 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I added some of the other principles I mentioned in my talk:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/community/xml-er/wiki/Charter
>
> It looks plausible to me; I added,
> "Applications must be able to distinguish well-formed XML from
> corrected-to-well-formed XML." - I hope it's OK.

I'm less sure about this one. I see where you're coming from but I would hesitate to add it at the charter level where it becomes binding for all eternity.

My concern is this: if they can be distinguished at the format level, then there's a risk that they might not be compatible. If they can be distinguished at the media type level, then we lose the ability for browser to process broken XML if it has the wrong media type (which sort of defeats some of the purpose).

I wonder if it might not make more sense to handle this as different conformance products? "Strict XML processors" MUST handle application/xml content according to [XML10e5]. "User Agent XML processors" MUST handle application/xml according to [XMLAvK]. Or something like that.

The above might be a bad idea, but the important point is that I have some hesitation about making this part of the charter, as opposed to opening an ISSUE and hacking at it with blunt objects.