Re: Fwd: Question about normalization checking in XML 1.1

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 14:26:24 +0000
To: Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
I asked Richard -- he agrees it's a bug.  Fixing it is less than
obvious -- he suggests starting from the question "What should _not_
be normalized?"  The only candidates for _not_ being normalized that
he suggests we consider
are the doctypes (internal and external), on the assumptions that

  a) That's what Francois had in mind when he wrote that definition;

  b) Because he imagined that you just might have entity declarations
     whose bodies weren't normalised, but which whose actual _uses_
     were such that the post-substitution text _was_ normalised. . .

Hmm.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk