Re: Adding an xs:numeric type to XML Schema

On 2014-05-20 10:26, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The XSLT/XQuery WGs are considering adding a new union type to the
> xs: namespace, xs:numeric would be a union of decimal, float, and
> double.
>
> I think it's a good idea, but I believe we're the official maintainers
> of XSD so I figured we should at least have a chance to object.

Norm explained (to me offline) that this sort of thing has happened before.
The new schema datatype gets defined in the XPath Data Model spec.

(The latest XML Schema Datatypes 1.1 includes the earlier types that
XSLT/XQuery had added to the XPath Data Model spec.)

It occurs to me that we are planning (if we ever get any cooperation)
on issuing a Second Edition of the Schema Structures spec.  I suppose
we could also issue a new edition of the Datatypes spec that adds this
new xs:numeric.

Thoughts?

paul