Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2014 April 2

Attendees
---------
   Norm
   Paul
   Henry

[3 organizations (7 with proxies) present out of 10]

Regrets
-------
David
Loren, proxy to the chair
John, proxy to the chair
Liam
Daniel, proxy to the chair
Mohamed, proxy to the chair

Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Red Hat (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
W3C (with regrets)
Greatlinkup (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
NACS (with regrets)
John Cowan (with regrets, proxy to the chair)
Jirka Kosek

Our next telcon is April 16.

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> XML Potential Errata
> --------------------
> Comment that "or by the Byte Order Mark" is lacking in section 4.3.3:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2013OctDec/0002
>
> Comment that an entity cannot "begin" with a BOM as suggested in
> section 4.3.3:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2013OctDec/0003
>
> ACTION to John and Henry: Review and comment on the above two comments
> on the discussion of BOMs in section 4.3.3 of the XML spec.

ACTION to John and Henry continued.

> ----
>
> Comment about documents with an "empty DTD":
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Jan/thread#msg8
> and
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/
>
> Henry suggests we could probably make the XML spec clearer here;
> see also his comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/0004
>
> Paul sent the WG response at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/0005
> and there was more back from the commentor at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/
>
> ACTION to Henry: Read the post-February 6 email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2014JanMar/
> and let us know what you think we should do.

ACTION to Henry continued.

> Submitting XML Schema 1.1 to ISO
> --------------------------------
> See also
> https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-schema
>
> We have decided we will first publish XML Schema 1.1 2E (with
> approved errata). After that, we would send XML Schema 1.1 2E
> (only) to ISO.
>
> Loren has offered to do the editorial duties, and David
> talked to CMSMCQ about getting some more help in the details.
>
> It looks like there are 3 bugs for Structures, none for Datatypes,
> but after checking with Michael, he found
> https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/06/xmlschema-1/structures.errata-2012.html
> which shows 8 errata items whereas bugzilla shows only 3.
>
> We discussed
> https://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/06/xmlschema-1/structures.errata-2012.html
>
> Henry figures we can just publish this document.
>
> Loren still needs to check with Michael that things
> are appropriately checked in and, if so, we should
> just push this document through the tool chain and
> publish.
>
> ACTION to Loren: Communicate with Michael as necessary
> and produce an XML Schema 1.1 2E document.

Still trying to get Michael to answer.

ACTION to Loren continued.

> 3.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>

> 4. LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):
>
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
> * XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)
>
> but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.
>

> 5.  XML Media types (3023bis)
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-media
>
> Latest IETF draft was -07 dated February 6 at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-07.html
>
> Paul resent a note of support for 3023bis at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Feb/0025
> and
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg11494.html
>
> There is now a February 23 draft at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-08
> with a diff at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-08_diff
> and a DoC at http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/07-comments.html
> ...and finally a March 2 draft at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-09
> (I could find no DoC or non-auto diff).
>
> [Henry, the first sentence of the last paragraph of section 2.2
> includes the phrase "are given names in in [UNICODE]"--note
> the extra "in".]
>
> Paul has sent another WG email of support at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Mar/0003
> and
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg11550.html
>
> Henry reports that the IESG ballot has been issued,
> so we are on the last lap of this work. Henry expects
> the document should be ready to publish as an RFC.

Henry reports that the IESG has tentatively approved the spec.
There we many comments made, though none requiring substantive
changes.  Henry is creating the final draft of the final version.

We are waiting for Wendy Seltzer to acknowledge that the W3C
is now the official change controller for all the XML related
media type registrations.

> 6.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
>
> On 9 October 2012, we published our FPWD of XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/WD-xinclude-11-20121009/
>
> On 15 January 2013, we published our (first) Last Call of
> XInclude 1.1 at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-xinclude-11-20130115/
> and Paul sent the transition announcement at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Jan/0012
> (also cc-ing the chairs mailing list).
> On 2013 October 8, we published the XInclude 1.1 CR at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-xinclude-11-20131008/
>
> Norm reports that Michael Kay's code just accesses Xerces code,
> so Norm might have to work with Xerces.
>
> DV reports that he is busy and so cannot commit to a deadline
> for adding XInclude 1.1 support to libxml.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Continue to work toward getting XInclude 1.1
> implementations and document them in our implementation report.
> Norm may see if he knows anyone still working on Xerces.
>
> Norm is planning to write a SAX filter to implement XInclude 1.1.
> He believes this will lead to a way for using XInclude 1.1 with
> Saxon's XSLT processor and most any other Java based tool.

ACTION to Norm continued.

Note also the desire for another test case for the XInclude test suite per
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2014Apr/0000