[Henry S. Thompson] Re: [xml-mime] [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03.txt

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:26:03 +0100
  • Subject: Re: [xml-mime] [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03.txt
  • To: apps-discuss@ietf.org
  • Cc: xml-mime@ietf.org
internet-drafts writes:

> directories.  This draft is a work item of the Applications Area
> Working Group Working Group of the IETF.
>
> 	Title           : XML Media Types
> 	Author(s)       : Henry S. Thompson
>                           Chris Lilley
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03.txt
> 	Pages           : 27
> 	Date            : 2013-10-16
>
> Abstract:
>    This specification standardizes three media types -- application/xml,
>    application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
>    for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
>    Extensible Markup Language (XML) while defining text/xml and text/
>    xml-external-parsed-entity as aliases for the respective application/
>    types.  This specification also standardizes the '+xml' suffix for
>    naming media types outside of these five types when those media types
>    represent XML MIME entities.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03

A thorough exposition of all comments received on the previous draft,
and their resolution, is available at

  http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/02-comments.html

Many thanks to the commentators, particularly Julian Reschke and Erik
Wilde, for careful reading and helpful input.

An author-markup-based diff is available at

 http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03_diff.html

This is much easier to read than the IETF auto-generated one.

Please note in particular that a significant addition has been made to
section 3.6 [1], to address the fact that the XML spec. itself defers
to this spec. to define the precedence of charset parameter, BOM and
XML encoding declaration.

The key new paragraph reads:

  All processors SHOULD treat a BOM (Section 4) as authoritative if it
  is present in an XML MIME entity.  In the absence of a BOM (Section
  4), all processors SHOULD treat the charset parameter as
  authoritative.  Section 4.3.3 of the [XML] specification does _not_
  make it an error for the charset parameter and the XML encoding
  declaration to be inconsistent.

Comments on this section, and wider review, would be very welcome.

ht

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-03#section-3.6
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk