Re: XML Schema as ISO standard via PAS?

On 9.10.2013 20:41, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> There was some interest a while ago in submitting XML Schema 1.1 as an
> ISO standard, which may help adoption in some countries.
>
> It's not a large amount of work (obviously, it's editorial work).

I would be very careful with this, there are several gotchas:

1) The first submission to PAS can be published as is, but any
subsequent versions should adhere to ISO terminology (SHALL instead of
MUST and so on) -- which is a lot of work.

2) Who will be maintaining ISO version of XML schema? Usual target will
be ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG1. Without close work between WG1 and XML Schema
WG (XML Core WG) there can be divergences introduced in a long term.
Ideally there should be some agreement between W3C and ISO stating that
all maintenance will be handled at W3C to avoid such possible
divergences. But then W3C has to guarantee timely processing of comments
channelled through ISO process.

3) XML Schema Recommendation is written in a unnecessary complex way.
There is a risk that some national bodies will raise comments against
this during PAS process. With an assumption that W3C doesn't want
retroactively change XML Schema 1.1 spec and doesn't want misaligned ISO
version this could lead to PAS voting failure. This probably will not be
a very good marketing for XML Schema.

4) Also with just two implementations, XML Schema 1.1 might be too
premature to be taken to ISO.

In general it would be a lot of paperwork and boring editorial work. If
it will be successful, users will be able to buy useless PDF rendering
of XML Schema spec from ISO in two years. I don't think it is worth
effort. And in general there are many existing precedents where
publishing one specification by two standardization bodies introduced
maintenance issues.

    Jirka