From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
To: [...]
Cc: [...]
Subject: Request for in-place modification of XML 1.0 5E
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:11:38 -0600

Denis, Liam,

Tim Bray, co-editor of Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth Edition) [1] forwarded this message to me:

===
> While viewing the XML recommendation at http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/ I noticed the link to BCP 47 (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#RFC1766) is broken, it gives a 550 Directory Not Found.
>
> Can this be fixed/changed to http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47?
===

The broken URI is:
 ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt

I contacted the people who manage isi.edu to ask them to restore it or create a redirect. They replied that they could not [2].

Therefore, per [3] I am requested an in-place modification to XML 1.0 5E to update the link. It turns out we need to replace
a single link with two:

 * Please link "RFC 4646: Tags for Identifying Languages" to
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4646

 * And "RFC 4647: Matching of Language Tags"  to:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4647

Thank you,

Ian

P.S. RFC4646 has been obsoleted, but we should not update the reference in XML 1.0 5E.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Team/w3t-archive/2013Feb/0000.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2003/01/republishing/