Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 May 2

Paul Grosso writes:

> We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday,
> May 2, from
>          16:30-17:00 in Ireland and the UK

Late-breaking regrets, sorry, but some actions done:

> ACTION: Henry to file an issue against Polyglot about the BOM.

Done.

> Polyglot draft: xml:space and xml:base
> --------------------------------------
> See the minutes at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Jan/0016
> for the discussion.
>
> ACTION: Henry to draft an issue regarding xml:space and xml:base in
>         the Polyglot draft for WG review.

I offer the following issues, one against polyglot, and one against
HTML5
-------------------
1) Treatment of xml:base and xml:space appears contradictory

Sections 1 Introduction and 5.2 Attribute-level namespaces mention
xml: attributes including xml:space and xml:base in a way which
suggests they occur in polyglot markup.  But 7.1 Disallowed Attributes
says, confusingly:

  The following attributes are not allowed in polyglot markup. These
  attributes have effects in documents parsed as XML but do not have
  effects in documents parsed as text/html. The HTML5 spec therefore
  defines them as invalid in text/html documents. [HTML5]

    xml:space
    xml:base

  Note that the xml:space and xml:base attributes are allowed on SVG
  and MathML elements.

For internal consistency, and consistency with HTML5, shouldn't this
be revised to read

  The following attributes are not allowed in polyglot markup except
  on foreign elements. These attributes have effects in documents
  parsed as XML but do not have effects in documents parsed as
  text/html outside of foreign elements. The HTML5 spec therefore
  defines them as invalid in text/html documents except on foreign
  elements. [HTML5]

    xml:space
    xml:base

Submitted on behalf of the XML Core WG
----------------
2) xml:base and xml:space allowed on foreign elements, but also
   forbidden

Is it a terminology issue, or a deeper problem, that we have both

  When a _foreign element_ has one of the namespaced attributes given by
  the local name and namespace of the first and second cells of a row
  from the following table, it must be written using the name given by
  the third cell from the same row. . . xml:base . . . xml:space

  [Section 8.1.2.3 Attributes, in Section 8 The HTML Syntax]

but also

  Authors must not use the xml:base attribute in _HTML documents_.

  [Section 3.2.3.5 The xml:base attribute (XML only)]

?

That is, the former appears to allow xml:base on foreign elements,
while the latter appears to forbid it.  Please clarify this in the
spec. one way or the other --- our preference would be for the xml:
attributes to be allowed on foreign elements.

Submitted on behalf of the XML Core WG

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk