Re: Proposed erratum to unreserve names beginning xml

On 2012-12-14 15:43, John Cowan wrote:
> Paul Grosso scripsit:
>
>> So I don't think we need or should say anything in prose
>> here about "xml" PI targets [I know, it's been in the spec
>> forever], and that what we should say here is something like:
>>
>>   <phrase diff="add">Target names that begin "xml-"
>>   (regardless of case; i.e., "xml-", "XML-", "xMl-", etc.)</phrase>
> I would go further, and skip the "regardless of case".  We aren't going
> to want to assign names like "XML-BONG", much less "xMl-StUdLyCaPs".
>
> Let's reserve element and attribute names beginning with "xml:", and
> PI targets beginning with "xml-", and let all the rest go.

I'm okay with that.  Norm, others?

If that's our plan, then aside from deleting the sentence in section 2.3,
I think we need in section 2.6 something like:

  <phrase diff="del">The target names " XML ", " xml ", and so on</phrase>

  <phrase diff="add">Target names that begin with "xml-"</phrase>

  are reserved for standardization in this or future

  <phrase diff="del">versions of this specification</phrase>

  <phrase diff="add">specifications from the
  <loc href="http://www.w3.org/XML/Core/">XML Core Working Group</loc>
  or its successors</phrase>.

and in section 3:

  This specification does not constrain the application semantics,
  use, or (beyond syntax) names of the element types and attributes,
  except that names beginning with

  <phrase diff="del">a match to (('X'|'x')('M'|'m')('L'|'l'))</phrase>

  <phrase diff="add">"xml:"</phrase>

  are reserved for standardization in this or future

  <phrase diff="del">versions of this specification</phrase>

  <phrase diff="add">specifications from the
  <loc href="http://www.w3.org/XML/Core/">XML Core Working Group</loc>
  or its successors</phrase>.

Thoughts?