Re: Updated XInclude draft

On 2012-12-04 19:32, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name> writes:
>> Under section 3.1, under href, second Note, the
>> latest draft deletes a sentence about sub resources.
>>
>> I'm not sure why it is deleted. I could see changing
>> "For parse="xml" inclusions..." to "When the parse attribute
>> specifies XML processing...", but I'm not sure why the
>> whole sentence is deleted.
>>
>> Regardless, if we delete that sentence, then I wonder how
>> the following sentence works given that it starts with
>> "While this does not prevent subresources of XML documents..."
>>
>> I could use some help understanding what is happening here.
> I deleted it because parse="xml" is no longer a special case.
> But I agree that left the paragraph rather confused.
>
> I've attempted to clarify it.

I realize that I never really understood this wording.

The sentence most in question for me is:

  While this does not prevent subresources from being
  identified by URI (See Architecture of the World Wide Web
  [Identification]), it does preclude the use of those
  identifiers directly within XInclude.

I remember the Makoto issue (that we can't put a fragid on
the URI directly), and I suspect that's what this sentence
is about, but when I read that sentence, I find unclear
what the referents for "this" and "it" are, and I'm not
sure what "use of those identifiers directly within XInclude"
really means.  In fact, I'm not sure why this sentence is
here at all--it seems unnecessary.

Maybe the whole Note should read something like:

  A key feature of XInclude is that it allows a resource to
  be cast to a user-specifed type for inclusion. The returned
  media type is therefore essentially ignored for the purposes
  of inclusion processing, and the syntax of the fragment
  identifier of the returned media type will generally not
  be applicable to the user-specified type.
  Therefore, in XInclude, subresources of the included resource
  are identified by a separate xpointer or fragid attribute
  which is applied after the casting takes place.

But other than that all the rest looks good to me.