Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 April 4

On 2.4.2012 19:44, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name> writes:
>> ACTION to Norm:  Continue to publicize the XInclude 1.1
>> Requirement and Use Cases WG Note to potentially interested
>> parties and see if you can drum up any feedback.
>
> I nudged the DocBook mailing list again
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00000.html

My feedback is at:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00002.html

I'm not sure if I will make it to tomorrow telcon.

    Jirka

Copy-pasting here:

Hi Norm,

I read it, I care and it sounds good :-)

I think that requirements, if implemented in XInclude V.next can be used
to implement transclusions.

However there are few issues which will need careful consideration:

1. Which attributes to copy? I tend to think that only namespaced
attributes which are not in XInclude namespace should be copied.

2. Should be xml:id copied to included root element? If so, should it
silently override original xml:id if present? Should there be way to
obtain original xml:id? Or can this be left outside XInclude and it
application will use their own attribute to override xml:id?

3. Profiling on XInclude. It should be possible to specify effectivity
attributes on XInclude, of course in DocBook namespace, like:

<xi:include href="topic.xml" db:security="private"/>

Of course then DocBook processing will have to cope with situations when
after XInclude we will get inconsistency between local attribute and
attribute augmented by XInclude:

<section db:security="private" security="public>...</section>

Nothing unmanageable, but it will make processing little bit more
difficult and we will have to define how this will be handled for DocBook.

4. Language fixup. I hate it, probably it would be too big change to
remove it from XInclude.

But overall I think it was good of you to convince us to go XInclude way.