Re: Extending XInclude

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:49:46 +0200
CC: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
On 4.10.2011 18:30, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Defining id-fixup along the lines suggested by the DocBook TC required
> two things:
>
> 1. The ability to find where the XInclusions occurred.
> 2. The ability to add author-specified annotations to those roots.
>
> On the whole, I think we could justify fixing point 1 in XInclude
> without biting off the "id fixup" question ourselves in XInclude.
>
> I'm much less confident that we can justify point 2 without having
> the larger use case in mind.
>
> What's more, the actual mechanism I chose, pushing attributes from the
> xi:include element down into the included content seems like a total
> hack.

Alternatively we can use processing instructions for this. It will be
still hack, but it wouldn't intercept XInclude processing, something like:

<?transclude prefix="c1" id="refid1"?>
<xi:include href="chap1.xml"/>

<?transclude prefix="c2" idfixup="prefix" linkscope="local"?>
<xi:include href="chap2.xml"/>

> Perhaps. I think the first question to answer is whether or not we
> think my hack for migrating attributes from xi:include down into
> content is something we could even come close to justifying.

Certainly it is more practical and easier for processing than using PIs
as outlined above.

				Jirka

  http://docbook.cz    Stránky o dokumentačním formátu DocBook
  http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers