Re: Reserved XML names and namespaces

Michael Schäfer wrote:

>> conformance with XML and XML Namespaces specifications. Also please note
>> that there are some XML tools which will choke on elements starting with
>> "xml". So it is really bad idea to use such named elements in your
>> document type.
> That's been puzzling me since the problem came up. Our schemata have been
> created with oXygen and XML Spy, used for code generation in Web Sphere AS
> and with XMLBeans, used for validation with Xerces and other parsers, and
> have been WS-I tested. So far, no pains. But of course, that's a wholly
> different point...

Actually XML spec doesn't forbid them but reserves them for future use
by W3C. So reasonable application shouldn't choke on such element names,
and it is very unlikely that W3C will allocate such specially named
elements in a future as there are namespaces for handling such things.
But anyway it's safer to not use such names because they can be used for
special purposes in a future even if such possibility seems very low now.

    Jirka