Reserved XML names and namespaces

From: Michael Schäfer <michael.schaefer@destatis.de>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:56:13 -0400
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Dear Madam or Sir,

I'm an employee of the Federal Statistical Office and member of
a working group that developed an XML protocol for exchanging
data between businesses and public administrations.

A few days ago an implementor has come up with a question about
the protocol's conformity with the XML specification, since the
root element is named 'XMLTransport' and possibly considered a
reserved name according to that specification.

However, that element is defined in a namespace, so according to
the XML Namespaces specification the local part of its name must
conform to

which is equivalent to NCName at

which refers back to Name at

in the XML specification, excluding the colon from the character

Name defines syntax and character space for legal XML Names. The
"rule" defining reserved names appears separately somewhat earlier
in the same section. It's applicability seems to be restricted to
the XML specification ("this specification"). Also, it is not a

To me, it is unclear wether or not that rule applies to XML names
defined in an XML namepace.

I'd appreciate any clarification or helpful pointers on that subject.

Thank you vermy much in advance,

Michael Schäfer

    Michael Schäfer

    C304 Werkzeuge und Standards

    Telefon +49 (0)611.753652

    wissen.nutzen. | Statistisches Bundesamt