Re: New charter [was Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2011 January 26]

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 10:47 -0500, Grosso, Paul wrote:

> > From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan@ccil.org] On Behalf Of John Cowan

> > I note the utter absence of any mention of performance or MicroXML.
> > Were these rejected in some transaction I wasn't party to?

Yes, I was in a huff because I wasn't invited to... er... no,
actually ;-)

It's because the charters were done in October, with final comments from
WGs due in November, and were sent to W3C Management for review in early
December.  They were supposed to have been reviewed and sent to the
Advisory Committee by now.

This does not preclude future work at W3C on MicroXML.

Neither does it preclude a possible Workshop and/or new WG.

The charters might also change as a result of W3C AC Review.

> Mohamed sent his performance email on November 24 at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Nov/0011
>
> The minutes from the telcon of December 1 at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Dec/0000
> (Mohamed was not present) record:
>
>  Regarding performance, Liam said it probably wouldn't fall under
>  this group.  Parts of XML performance fall under EXI, maybe others
>  under XQuery/XSLT.

I'm not hearing Mohammed say, let's change XML to use a different angle
in the open tag brackets for better streamlining :-), I'm hearing him
say, let's do work built on top of XML-as-it-is such as APIs and "best
proactices" and publishing measurements... which sounded to me like a
different sort of work.  In addition, "programming in the large" in XML
sounded (still sounds) to me like something involving XQuery, XSLT,
XProc.  So most likely a new WG, with considerable overlap with XQuery
Scripting.

Liam

Pictures from old books: http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ now on twitter too!
Sometimes a blog at http://www.barefootliam.org/