Re: Considering an XInclude 1.1

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:36:45 -0600
Cc: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

On 14 Dec 2011, at 11:23 AM, Grosso, Paul wrote:

> Ian,

Hi Paul!

> The XML Core WG has received a couple new requirements for
> XInclude that would require upward compatible additions.
> Naturally, this would require that we issue a 1.1 version
> of the spec.
>
> Our current charter [1] doesn't expire until 31 Jan 2013.
> It allows us "to consider comments on...XInclude" and
> "[publish] new editions...when appropriate".  It also
> indicates that we have "plans to...Publish a third edition
> of XInclude."  However, it notes "that the development of
> new W3C Recommendations not listed in this document would
> require a new charter revision."
>
> I am assuming that an XInclude 1.1 is a "new W3C Recommendation
> not listed in this document", correct?

Yes.

> Assuming so, what is "a new charter revision" and what is the
> simplest way to go about doing that?

 * Team Contact + Chairs ( + WG) work on a revised charter that includes that deliverable.
 * The Advisory Committee reviews it (4 weeks)
 * People rejoin the group under the new charter making patent commitments for the new deliverables.

> We hesitate to generate an entirely new charter at this point,
> so we are hoping there is another method by which we can add
> an XInclude 1.1 deliverable to our existing charter.

Not that I'm aware of.

What is the source of concern?

Ian