W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > April 2011

Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2011 April 20

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:51:40 -0400
Message-ID: <9B2DE9094C827E44988F5ADAA6A2C5DA029C8CEC@HQ-MAIL9.ptcnet.ptc.com>
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
Attendees
---------
 Glenn
 Paul 
 Norm
 John 
 Jirka

[5 organizations (6 with proxies) present out of 9]

Regrets
-------
Daniel
Mohamed
Henry
Liam

Absent organizations
--------------------
Innovimax (with regrets)
Univ of Edinburgh (with regrets)
W3C (with regrets)
Daniel Veillard (with regrets, proxy to the chair)


Our next telcon will be May 4.


> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).
> 

Accepted.

> 
> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
> 
> TPAC week
> ---------
> TPAC will be 31 October through 4 November 2011 in Santa Clara
> California.  I think we should plan to have a f2f during this
> week: http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/ - Meeting Overview page.
> 
> Likely attendance:
> 
> Probably will:  Paul, Norm, Henry, Laim
> Maybe:  Mohamed
> Most likely won't:  John, Daniel, Jirka, Glenn
> 
> 
> Charter renewal
> ---------------
> Charters have been renewed.  XML Core members do not have
> to rejoin explicitly.
> 
> 
> XML Processor Profiles review
> -----------------------------
> There is a substantially reworked XML Processing Model WG's
> Last Call Working Draft of "XML processor profiles" at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> 
> John and Glenn re-reviewed the latest version
> of the XML processor profiles last call draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> and had a variety of comments at the last telcon.
> 
> John sent some comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Apr/0019
> 
> ***ACTION to Glenn:  Send your comments on the latest
> version of the XML processor profiles last call draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> to the Processing Model comments list at
> public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

Mooted by events.

> 
> FWIW, if anyone is interested, Michael (CMSMcQ) sent fairly
> extensive comments at
>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-processing-model-comments
/2011Apr/0003
> 
> 
> Name-escaping spec
> ------------------
> Henry sent email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Mar/0018
> asking if we should consider producing a WG Note recommending
> an escaping scheme for turning (mostly) arbitrary strings into
> XML names as a Best Practice.

Wait for Henry's attendance to revisit.

> 
> 
> XML Security specs
> ------------------
> The XML Security WG has asked the XML Core WG to review its
> upcoming specs as referenced below, especially:
> 
> Canonical XML Version 2.0,
> http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/c14n-20/
> 
> XML Signature Syntax and Processing Version 2.0,
> http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core-20/
> 
> Jirka has said he will at some point.  Other volunteers solicited.
> 

Norm has also volunteered to look at them in May.

> 
> 3.  XML 1.0--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata
> 
> We are creating an XML 1.0 6th Edition and XML 1.1 3rd (or
> perhaps 6th) Edition.
> 
> ACTION to John:  Update the XML sources for XML 1.0 and 1.1
> to reflect any errata and the LEIRI reference.
> 
> 
> 4.  XML Test Suite.
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
> 
> ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
> 
> 
> 5.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1--see
>    http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0
>    and http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.1.
> 
> 
> 6.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
> 
> We had planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
LEIRIs:
> 
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition
> * XInclude 3rd Edition
> 
> John wonders if we should call the next edition of XML 1.1
> the 6th Edition to match the XML 1.0 spec.  (No decision yet.)
> 
> We decided not to touch XLink 1.0.  XLink 1.1 is already leirified.
> 
> John will update the XML sources for XML 1.0 and 1.1.
> 
> Paul will update the Xinclude source.
> 
> Paul, Norm, and Liam are responsible for dealing with pubrules
> and other administrivia.
> 
> Our LEIRI WG Note says:
> 
>  When [IRIbis is published as an RFC], this specification will be
>  re-issued to reference it in place of the extracts given below.
> 
> We are concerned that the XML specs would be normatively referencing
> an RFC through a (non-normative) WG Note, so we're not sure what we
> want to do here.
> 
> Furthermore, IRIBis is not moving to RFC quickly.  So we're not
> sure what we should do about issuing new editions.
> 
> Recent email from Larry Masinter (one of the authors of IRIbis) at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Mar/0022
> doesn't give a time line for IRIBis at this point.
> 
> ***ACTION to Henry:  Ping Larry Masinter (one of the authors of
> IRIbis) for the latest on the IRIbis schedule.
> 

ACTION to Henry continued.

> 
> 7.  xml:id--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-id
> 
> 
> 8.  XML Base 2nd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base
> 
> 
> 9.  XLink 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1
> 
> 
> 10.  XInclude 3rd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
> 
> We are creating an XInclude 3rd Edition.
> 
> ACTION to Paul:  Update the XML sources for Xinclude to reflect
> any errata and the LEIRI reference.
> 
> 
> 11.  Associating Stylesheets.
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss
> 
> AssocSS 2nd Ed is now a Recommendation at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/REC-xml-stylesheet-20101028/
> 
> ACTION to Henry: Update the Errata document at
> http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/errata
> 
> 
> 12.  xml-model
> 
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-schemas
> 
> This has been published as a WG Note at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-xml-model-20100415/
> 
> The ISO ballet had ended.  There were four comments which
> need to be addressed which means there will probably be another
> ISO vote.

Jirka will present our disposition of comments to ISO and 
find out whether they need to do another ballot or not.

ACTION to Jirka:  Find out what the next steps will be
for ISO's progression of the XML Model spec.

> 
> Some of the comments have lead us to tweak our Note.
> 
> Paul prepared an updated draft of the WG Note at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2011/04/xml-model/xml-model-diff.htm
> 
> Comments solicited.
> 

Norm, Jirka say it looks fine.

ACTION to John:  Review the latest xml-model spec at
http://www.w3.org/XML/2011/04/xml-model/xml-model-diff.htm

Jirka, Norm suggest we wait a month or two to see if we need 
to do anything else before we publish it as a new edition.

John suggests we publish it now.  Paul isn't sure.

ACTION to Paul:  Consider publishing a new edition of
our xml-model WG Note (probably no earlier than the 
May 10 timeframe).

> 
> paul
> 
> [1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
> [2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
> [3]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Apr/0002
> 
> 
Received on Wednesday, 20 April 2011 15:52:15 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 20 April 2011 15:52:16 GMT