Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2011 April 6

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 12:04:38 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
John xx:08

[7 organizations (8 with proxies) present out of 9]

Absent organizations
Innovimax (with regrets)
Daniel Veillard (with regrets, proxy to the chair)

Our next telcon will be April 20.

> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
> TPAC week
> ---------
> TPAC will be 31 October through 4 November 2011 in Santa Clara
> California.  I think we should plan to have a f2f during this
> week: http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/ - Meeting Overview page.
> Likely attendance:
> Probably will:  Paul, Norm, Henry, Liam
> Maybe:  Mohamed
> Most likely won't:  John, Daniel, Jirka, Glenn
> Charter renewal
> ---------------
> Status from Liam.

Liam reports we are successfully renewed and expects an
announcement soon.

> XML Processor Profiles review
> -----------------------------
> There is a substantially reworked XML Processing Model WG's
> Last Call Working Draft of "XML processor profiles" at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> John and Glenn re-reviewed the latest version
> of the XML processor profiles last call draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> and had a variety of comments at the last telcon.
> ***ACTION to John, Glenn:  Send your comments on the latest
> version of the XML processor profiles last call draft at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/xml-proc-profiles.html
> to the Processing Model comments list at
> public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

ACTION to John, Glenn continue.

> Name-escaping spec
> ------------------
> Henry sent email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Mar/0018
> asking if we should consider producing a WG Note recommending
> an escaping scheme for turning (mostly) arbitrary strings into
> XML names as a Best Practice.

There are already several schemes out there.

Would writing a WG Note just add yet another escaping scheme?

> 3.  XML 1.0--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata
> We are creating an XML 1.0 6th Edition and XML 1.1 3rd (or
> perhaps 6th) Edition.
> ACTION to John:  Update the XML sources for XML 1.0 and 1.1
> to reflect any errata and the LEIRI reference.
> 4.  XML Test Suite.
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
> ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
> 5.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1--see
>    http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0
>    and http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.1.
> 6.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
> We had planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
> * XML 1.0 6th Edition
> * XML 1.1 3rd Edition
> * XInclude 3rd Edition
> John wonders if we should call the next edition of XML 1.1
> the 6th Edition to match the XML 1.0 spec.  (No decision yet.)
> We decided not to touch XLink 1.0.  XLink 1.1 is already leirified.
> John will update the XML sources for XML 1.0 and 1.1.
> Paul will update the Xinclude source.
> Paul, Norm, and Liam are responsible for dealing with pubrules
> and other administrivia.
> Our LEIRI WG Note says:
>  When [IRIbis is published as an RFC], this specification will be
>  re-issued to reference it in place of the extracts given below.
> We are concerned that the XML specs would be normatively referencing
> an RFC through a (non-normative) WG Note, so we're not sure what we
> want to do here.
> Furthermore, IRIBis is not moving to RFC quickly.  So we're not
> sure what we should do about issuing new editions.
> Recent email from Larry Masinter (one of the authors of IRIbis) at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Mar/0022
> doesn't give a time line for IRIBis at this point.

ACTION to Henry:  Ping Larry for the latest on the IRIbis schedule.

> 7.  xml:id--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-id
> 8.  XML Base 2nd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base
> 9.  XLink 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1
> 10.  XInclude 3rd Ed--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
> We are creating an XInclude 3rd Edition.
> ACTION to Paul:  Update the XML sources for Xinclude to reflect
> any errata and the LEIRI reference.
> 11.  Associating Stylesheets.
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss
> AssocSS 2nd Ed is now a Recommendation at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/REC-xml-stylesheet-20101028/
> ACTION to Henry: Update the Errata document at
> http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/errata
> 12.  xml-model
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-schemas
> This has been published as a WG Note at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-xml-model-20100415/
> We will plan to update our WG Note to reference the ISO spec
> once it is officially available. We will also update our Note
> to reference the Rec version of AssocSS 2nd Ed.
> Jirka reports that the ISO xml-model ballot ends on 2011 April 1st.

The ballot has been approved.  There were four comments which
need to be addressed which means there will probably be another
ISO vote.

ACTION to Jirka:  Send the comments to the XML Core WG list
(or to w3c-archive@w3.org and post the URL).

Henry asks what it should mean if the document has both a
doctype declaration and an xml-model that points to a DTD.

Jirka claims that is outside the scope of the xml-model spec.

The spec already says:

 This specification provides a way to associate multiple schemas
 with a given XML document. Furthermore, there exist other ways
 certain schemas can be associated with a given XML document.
 Regardless of the association method, this specification does
 not prescribe the processing order when multiple schemas are
 associated with a given XML document.

 In particular, this specification does not define the interaction
 of xml-model processing instructions with xsi:schemaLocation and
 xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation attributes which provide hints for
 locating schema in W3C XML Schema. Applications supporting both
 xml-model processing instructions and xsi:schemaLocation/
 xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation attributes may provide means for
 specifying which information takes precedence.

John says we might add:

 The presence of an xml-model PI referencing to a dtd does not
 affect the validity of the document which contains it.

ACTION to Paul:  Prepare an updated draft of the WG Note to
reflect the comments (after we have seen all the comments).