Re: TAG concern wrt 3023bis, +xml media types and fragids

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 12:40 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> [...]

>  Given a random +xml vocabulary that I
> don't know anything about, I want a license to try to resolve the
> fragment identifiers using application/xml semantics.

+1

This is what I call the "XML Promise" - any application is licensed
by the XML Specification to (attempt to) process any XML document
using generic XML rules.

This is why, for example, it's not OK to have a table of byte offsets
embedded in an XML document, to speed up subsequent parsing -- an
application that was unaware of this convention could change the
document without updating the offset table.

Liam