Issue holman-2 and Issue taylor-4 (substantive, pending) Re: AssocSS comments

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:51:19 +0100, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> Issue holman-2 (substantive, pending)
> What is significance of the ordering of links?
> Origin: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> :
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-stylesheet-comments/2009Dec/0002.html
>> (2) - external links are said to occur before associations specifiedby
>> PIs ... but what is the interpretation of the order of the links?(or is
>> that covered off in the answer to the first question?)
> Discussions: reference

> Issue taylor-4 (substantive, pending)
> Significance of link order, again [from para 8]
> Origin: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-stylesheet-comments/2009Dec/0003.html
>> "Any links to style sheets that are specified externally to the document
>> (e.g. Link headers in some versions of HTTP [RFC2068]) are considered to
>> occur before the associations specified by the xml-stylesheet processing
>> instructions." - what considers them, in what context? This isn't a
>> conformance requirement, and doesn't apply to the listed conformance
>> classes, and it doesn't look like an example or a note, and it doesn't
>> reference any spec that defines that behaviour, so I don't
>> understandwhy the sentence is in this spec. It should be removed, or
>> rephrased tomake its intentions clear.
> Discussions: reference

I think we should say something like:

For some style sheet languages, the order of style sheet associations
matters. For instance, it affects the cascade in CSS. [CSS] For this
purpose, the order of style sheet associations is as follows:

1. Style sheet associations that are specified externally to the document
(e.g. Link headers in some versions of HTTP [RFC2068]). The relative order
of these associations is out of scope for this specification.
2. xml-stylesheet processing instructions that appear before the document
type declaration information item in the [children] property of the
document information item, in the same order they appear in the [children]
property.
3. xml-stylesheet processing instructions that appear in the [children]
property of the document type declaration information item, in the same
order they appear in the [children] property.
4. xml-stylesheet processing instructions that appear after the document
type declaration information item in the [children] property of the
document information item, in the same order they appear in the [children]
property.
5. Style sheet associations that are specified by elements, for instance
the style element in SVG. [SVG] The relative order of these associations
is out of scope for this specification.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software