Re: Fwd: First draft of xml-model note

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:32:49 -0500
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Grosso, Paul scripsit:

> I'm still not convinced, but I'm not the expert here.
>
> (Francois, John, others?)
>
> I would be more tempted to align xml-model with xml-stylesheet
> and http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets and HTTP, etc.

"Charset" is a deprecated synonym for "encoding" (the mapping between
characters and octet sequences).  It's deprecated because it's easily
confused with a mathematical set of characters, which is called a
"character repertoire" in CharSpeak.

In this case, however, I think that compatibility with the xml-stylesheet
PI and the HTML A and LINK elements is more important, so I recommend
"charset" for xml-model.

--
John Cowan     http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@ccil.org
Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out.  He wasn't home.